Make the most of colorful, short-lived spring produce with this pretty appetizer! It would be perfect for drinks and snacks before heading out to dinner, or as part of a cocktail party buffet.
- 1 baguette
- About 2 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved crosswise
- 4 carrots, preferably of mixed colors (I used orange, purple, and yellow), peeled and diced 1/4″
- 1 bunch radishes (about 8), diced 1/4″
- 4 to 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 T fresh dill or chives, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 C roasted garlic lentil spread (recipe above)
- To make the toasts, slice the baguette diagonally 1/2 inch thick. Preheat oven to 425 (F) and spread baguette slices in a single layer on one or two rimmed baking sheets. Brush both sides of each slice with olive oil (or use olive oil spray if you’re in a hurry) and sprinkle with salt. Bake about 8 minutes, rotating pan(s) halfway through, until medium golden brown. When still warm, but cool enough to handle, rub cut side of garlic clove on one or both sides of each toast. Set aside to cool completely, then store in an airtight container up to two days.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss carrots and radishes with olive oil to coat, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake (in the 425 degree oven) for 15 minutes. The vegetables should be tender but barely browned. Once cool, transfer carrots and radishes to a bowl with scallions, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble bruschetta, spread each toast with a thick layer of lentil dip, a spoonful of vegetables, and extra fresh herbs for garnish. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Vegan