Thick and luscious creamy black beans with no soaking, no blending, no dairy, and no oil. Nope, it’s not a scam: just a quick and easy Instant Pot beans recipe for stocking your fridge and freezer.
- 4 C dried black beans, rinsed (2 lbs.)
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 C diced onion (yellow, red, or white)
- 2 tsp dried epazote (sub dried oregano if you can’t find it)
- 10 C water
- 2 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients except salt in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Set to “bean/chili” (30 minutes, high pressure).
- After cook time, allow for a full natural release (about 30 minutes).
- Remove lid, add the salt, and turn on saute setting. Once beans come to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes, stirring and smashing beans against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon to thicken the broth.
- Eat as is, or over avocado toast, in tacos and burritos, on salad or nachos, or any other way you can dream up!
Liquid will thicken even more after refrigerating the beans.
Cook time includes pressure cooking only, not coming to pressure or natural release time.
Batch cooking notes: The beans store well in any freezer friendly container. Allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate until chilled. At that point they’re ready for reheating or the freezer!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Batch Cooking