You should and will put these pickled onions on everything: low in sugar and high in crunch and flavor, they’ll freshen up any weeknight pantry or freezer dinner.
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 C hottest tap water
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C distilled white vinegar
- Place sliced onion in a glass jar or any other glass food storage container. Mix hot water, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl (preferably with a spout) until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Stir in vinegar. Slowly pour liquid over sliced onions. Press down on the onions gently with the back of a spoon: they will collapse a little, allowing you to add more liquid if needed. Seal and place in the fridge.
- After about 24 hours, drain liquid. Transfer onions to a smaller container if you’re tight on fridge space. Pickled onions keep in the fridge for a couple weeks.
Barely adapted from Bon Appetit.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Condiment