A 10-minute main dish comfort food salad with no pot of boiling water needed. The recipe serves two, but quantities are highly flexible and can be adjusted for one or for a crowd, and also increased or decreased to taste. The salad would also be good with the addition of your protein of choice (such as cooked lentils, some quinoa, steak, or chicken).
- Olive oil (about 3 T)
- 1 T butter
- 2 dozen gnocchi dumplings
- Kosher or sea salt
- Gorgonzola cheese (as much as you like)
- 2 big handfuls of pre-washed arugula
- Pine nuts (about 2 T, toasted if you like)
- Balsamic vinegar (about 1 T)
- Ground black pepper
- Heat oil just above medium heat in a skillet (I used cast iron). When hot, add the butter and melt completely. Add the gnocchi to the pan, stir to coat in oil, then let fry about 3 minutes while you prep the other salad ingredients. Flip gnocchi over once golden brown on the first side and let cook a few more minutes. Remove from pan and sprinkle with salt.
- While gnocchi fry, crumble the gorgonzola. Toss arugula, most of the blue cheese, and the pine nuts with olive oil to coat. Then add a splash of balsamic and toss to combine. Distribute greens mix evenly amongst bowls and top equally with cooked gnocchi and remaining gorgonzola. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Salad